Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

It's a lifestyle not a part-time job

I recently read a great article on the 10 reasons to buy your daughter a horse. Something that I often vouch to parents for but never really gave it much more thought than that. Horses aren’t cheap and neither is the lifestyle – most of us have big dreams but have a hard time affording them. 







For those lucky ones with the parents to fund their expensive tastes, the benefits are huge. I don’t mean to say that every wealthy parent should buy their kid a pony, but if you’re looking for a way to teach them responsibility, the value of money and compassion, then horses are the way to go.








Then there’s my story. I didn’t own my first horse until the age of 21 and probably picked the worst time to do so, right as I entered my third year of University. I was a full time student, had a part time job and now owned a horse. Easy to say my social life revolved around my new four-legged friend. 

Owning a horse and understanding the responsibility that comes with it is an amazing life lesson. They are a big responsibility and require 24/7 care. Most farms will provide that care along with your monthly boarding fee, ranging anywhere from 400-1000 dollars a month, depending on the facility. This is not to say that visiting your horse once a week is acceptable as a horse owner. 






We as humans make the decision to stable our horses, to keep them clean, to keep them warm and to ensure their safety – especially if they are show horses. By making this decision we take on the responsibility of ensuring they are exercised and groomed daily. These are things that horses would naturally do in the wild but are either not able to, or only able to for a certain number of hours a day, when we stable them. 







The most common misconception of new horse owners is that it is ok to miss a few days at the barn, because they are taken care of. Most boarding fees only include stall cleaning, turnout, and feeding. The rest is up to the owner. When deciding to buy your child’s first horse or maybe your own four legged partner, make sure that you are ready for what it entails and understand the care that is required from you. Owning a horse is not a part-time responsibility. 



For more tips and things to remember, check out this article on the ten things you need to know before buying a horse.

HB

10 comments:

  1. Its sad how often (I've seen) people buy horses, board them and visit them once or twice a week. It's a huge responsibility to care for another living being.
    You definitely took on a lot in University, owning a horse would consume all my time...forget classes, work and a social life!
    If I have the means as an adult, and if my child really desires and proves their responsible, I probably would look to invest in a horse. They are beautiful creatures.
    Ps. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last December I spent a few days with my friend who kept two horses. I helped to muck the stables and feed them. It made me appreciate how much work is involved in caring for them.

      Delete
  2. Because I lived in a place close to Inner Mongolia, I could always see horses in the park and ride a horse accompanied by trainers.
    When I was little, I always dreamed to ride a horse galloping on grassland without anybody following me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble with goldfish, but you manage a horse, university, and work. That takes some serious organizational skills, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted a horse, but not so much in the sense of an equestrian - my vision is like that of the old west, with a horse named "Rusty" or something, who is both my best friend and source of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really considered how much effort it must take to care for a horse. Unlike a dog or a cat, you can't let a horse roam your house and let them outside every now and then. I am sure the time you have spent looking after your horse has provided you with a great friendship and helped you mature as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of respect for riders. I fell in love with horses on a trip to Cuba and went riding through a beautiful trail but I got lost because the horse was terrified of a puddle and went of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post - no one ever really seems to acknowledge or understand what an incredible responsibility it is to own a horse or to invest in partial ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree that having a horse (or any animal really) is a great way to teach children responsibility. They are a lot of work, more than most children understand when wanting a pony as a pet. The value of money is a great lesson to learn as well, boarding isn't cheap. One of my best friends would work in the stables as she was growing up, cleaning to help pay her stable rent. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a friend in highschool who was fully invested in the equestrian life just like you. I saw how challenging it is to be in these situations. She wanted to buy a horse so bad, but it is such a huge commitment. Our family dog is a huge commitment as it is- i couldn't even begin to imagine a horse! Awesome work, Helen!

    ReplyDelete